verse

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14

One year...

Today marks one year to the day that Carter had the first stage of his "big" surgery at Johns Hopkins.  Little did we know the journey we were about to encounter.  I figured I would write this post the way I intend to tell Carter one day.

To my sweet Carter,
Today is a BIG day for you.  Today marks one year since your “big” surgery at Johns Hopkins.  You have had lots and lots of surgeries, but this was the biggest one yet.  This is the surgery that your pelvis was broken and your bladder put back inside your body.  You had to lay flat on you back and not move anything below your waist for 8 weeks.  You then were put into a cast that went from you toes to your hips. You ended up having two cast like this and had them on the entire summer. You went through 3 very long and intense surgeries. You spent months in the hospital.  You went through so much.  There was a point your Daddy and I were not sure whether you were going to be coming home with us or going home with Jesus.  We hated having to watch you in so much pain.  I promise you that we would not have put you through any of it if we did not know that it would save your life.  Your life here on earth that is.  Carter you were so strong and brave.  I know that both your Daddy and I ask God daily to give us your pain.  We asked Him to take the burden from you and to give it to us.  We would give anything, Carter, to take all of this from you, but God has a bigger plan.  He knows exactly what he is doing.  God made you so strong, stronger than anyone I know. 

 As I look at you today, I am reminded of the day in the hospital last year that I prayed for God to give me a glimpse of what things would look like in a year.  We were so uncertain of so many things.  I just wanted a small glimpse.  God did not grant me that glimpse, but he did tell me things would be ok.  He calmed all of our fears and pulled us closer to Him than we have ever been.  The days that your pain was so unbearable you would shake uncontrollably, God was there.  He was there watching over you.  He knew how strong He made your body and how much pain you could stand.  He was the only one that knew you would be running and jumping today. 
Carter, you are doing absolutely wonderful right now.  You are healthier than you have ever been.  You are so happy and you love life.  Most people that see you today have no clue of what you have been through.  You have more battle wounds and scars than anyone I know and yet, you wake up each morning with a smile on your face.  God has truly blessed you, Carter.  There is nothing in this world that can hold you back.   You did it sweet boy!  You made it through one of the toughest surgeries here on earth!  He did it!  To God be the Glory!!!

A glimpse back this time last year...



 
 
Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.  He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.  Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven.  Psalm 107:28-30
 The past few months...


 

 
To GOD be the glory!!!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he seems to be doing so well. God is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, how I love that smile. He is growing so fast. I love the picture of him walking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the update. Go carter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thinking about sweet Carter and his always ever present smile and wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post. I wanted to share my feelings on Raising a Child With Special Needs. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/raising-child-special-needs-one-dads-perspective-mike-cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing Journey....God is good. I learned about oeis syndrome through Chive Charities and hopped online to learn more about it. Your blog gave me the most useful, down to earth info and for that I thank you. I sincerely hope all is well with you, your fam, and especially your boy. You'll all be in my prayers tonight. Be well, Amos C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Your son is so cute! He sounds like an amazing and strong little guy!�� My best friend's son was born with OEIS complex on Saturday. She's still in the hospital (and he's in a different hospital.) alAnd I'm trying to find other families affected by OEIS complex to connect her with. Unfortunately because it's such a rare condition it's hard to find support groups or webisodes. Do you know of any? I read elsewhere that there is one on Facebook but it must be secret because I cannot find it. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete