Whew! Today has been another crazy day. Carter has continued to vomit since surgery. He had an x-ray on Friday that showed his GJ tube was not in the correct place. They attempted to place it in the right place for over an hour and they were unsuccessful. They decided to place a G tube on Friday and try again today. Saturday morning Carter woke up vomiting more than normal and felt bad all day. He did not sleep well Saturday night and continued to feel bad on Sunday. He had a low grade fever that eventually went up to 101.6. They treated the fever with IV Tylenol and Carter seemed to feel better, although it only lasted a short time.
Last night Carter was extremely fussy and irritable. He did not go to sleep until 4 am. They decided to try to place the GJ tube this morning and much to my suprise Carter was extremely good during the procedure, which was successful. He did not cry and he just gazed up at
the ceiling. Once we got back to our room I noticed Carter was still gazing up at the ceiling and just not acting right. I thought it may be due to the lack of sleep and decided I would change him and lay him down for a nap. I went to change him and much to my suprise part of Carter's incision was open and there was blood everywhere. Our Surgeon (and a million other people) rushed into Carter's room and after throughly looking at the incision they decided it was not necessary for surgery right now. Carter's muscle was still intact and they felt they would do more harm than good if they performed surgery at this time. Our surgeon is almost positive another place in Carter's incision will come open before he completly heals. They are concerned that when the other part of the incision tries to come open it will pull open the muscle and Carter's intestine may try to slide out. There is nothing they can do about it at this time. It is just a waiting game. They have decided that Carter's mental status change was due to blood loss and dehydration. They have given Carter extra fluid and his mental status has dramatically improved. Thank GOD!
They have placed all of the emergency supplies in our room just incase Carter's incison does come completly open. Please continue to pray for Carter. Pray that his incison will stay as intact as possible and for the part that is already open to remain infection free. Pray for healing and guidance for our surgeon. Thank you all so much for your continued prayers. To Him be the Glory!