verse

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14

Merry Christmas and 1,000 Paper Cranes!


I have a lot to catch up on in this post.  I first want to start by saying Merry Christmas! We were unable to do Christmas cards this year so this is our official Merry Christmas to everyone!!
 Carter's Best Friends...Hank and Peanut!

 Telling everyone how old he is this Christmas!





 Merry Christmas from the Cline's!

Update on Carter.  He is doing ok.  He was discharged from the hospital this past Tuesday.  He has continued to run a low-grade fever and has developed a wound infection.  We are currently treating him with IV antibiotics and it is looking better.  Carter was discharged home on TPN, lipids and NG feeds.  He was still receiving Pedialyte through his NG tube when we were discharged home.  Once we got home we switched him back to formula.  He has not been able to tolerate any formula.  This morning he started having problems tolerating the Pedialyte.  So for now Carter is not receiving anything through his NG tube.  This is not ideal, but it is ok since he is receiving TPN and lipids (IV nutrition).  I actually pulled his NG tube out this morning and I think he has enjoyed not having anything taped to his face.  It seems that no one really understands why Carter is not tolerating his feedings right now.  Brandon and I are praying for wisdom right now, not only for us, but for Carter’s many medical teams.  I know we will figure all of this out, but until then we will continue to pray.  Thank God for TPN and lipids, without it our sweet boy probably would not be here this Christmas.

Now that Meagan has given the update on Carter, I want to share a touching story from this week. One of my co-workers and her classes had been studying a unit on Japan. In their unit they read a book, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. In the book, Sadako was a young girl that was two years old when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. She survived the bombing, but in her teen years she began having dizzy spells and learns that she has Leukemia, also called “The Atomic Bomb Disease.” Sadako’s friend, Chizuko, tells her that if she will fold 1,000 paper cranes the gods will be pleased and grant her one wish. Chizuko folded the first crane for her and Sadako began working on the rest. Unfortunately Sadako passed away before she folded 1,000. She was able to fold 644, however.

After reading this book, my co-worker and her classes decided that they wanted to fold 1,000 paper cranes for our family and especially Carter. They worked diligently for over a month and met their goal. On Monday evening my co-workers hung the cranes in my room and prayed that Carter would come home for Christmas and get well. On Tuesday morning not long after reading the letter she and her class left for me, I received a text message that we would be bringing Carter home that day. When I could finally pull myself together, I went down to her classes and told them how much I appreciated all of their hard work and more importantly their prayers. I emphasized that while the cranes were awesome, it was their prayers that brought Carter home. I want to thank each and every one that folded a crane or allowed their child to do so. Again, I want to thank each one of those kids and co-workers for their prayers. Prayer is powerful, especially when so many gather to do it. Our family loves each and every student and co-worker at Brandon Elementary School. May God bless each one of you and your families this Christmas season.





No comments:

Post a Comment