I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14

We are back...

Yes, we are back in Batson.  Last week we started Carter on a new medication in an effort to decrease his vomiting.  I noticed toward the end of the week that Carter was acting like he didn’t feel good.  Stomach pain can be a side effect of the medication, so of course I just blamed it on the medication.  All weekend Carter did not act like himself.  Sunday, Carter did not have any output and spiked a 103.5 fever in the middle of the night.  I notified Carter’s surgeon around 5 am and we both agreed he needed to take a look at him to make sure his fistula site was still open.  We checked into Batson around 10 am and Carter went back for surgery around noon.  The fistula site had started to close again.  It was opened and Carter had a ton of output.   He had no fever and felt great after surgery.  We were discharged  to go home.  Once we got home Carter started vomiting.  I watched him closely and he spiked a 104 fever around 3 in the morning.  I managed to control the fever with Tylenol and Advil.  We had a previously scheduled appointment with our surgeon Tuesday morning.  Once we arrived at our appointment the secretary took one look at Carter and told me to come back and she went to get a nurse.  The nurse arrived with Dr. Sawaya and determined that Carter was septic (infection throughout his blood stream).  We were quickly admitted to Batson and antibiotics were started.

            Carter is still struggling to keep his fever down.  It has ranged from 99.5 to 104.2 today.  The PICC line that Carter has had in since October had to be removed today also due to the infection in his bloodstream. An IV was placed in Carter with the assistance of an ultrasound device. Also, his blood count has dropped again and he will be receiving blood this afternoon.  Unfortunately, he will not be receiving my blood.  The remaining blood I had given for Carter last time expired and I am not able to donate again until December 27th.  I looked into my Mom or someone else with Carter’s blood type giving him blood and it was ruled out.  A direct donation would not be ready until Friday for Carter to receive it.  Carter needs blood today, not only because of how low his counts are but he is scheduled for surgery on Friday.  He is going to have a more permanent feeding tube placed.  It will go into Carter’s stomach and also his intestines.  Brandon and I are still praying and trying to decide about a few other surgical procedures Carter may have on Friday.  Please pray for guidance for us to make the best decision for Carter.  Please continue to pray for healing and for the infection to leave his body.  


  1. Continuing to pray as always! Thanks for the update :)

  2. Praying constantly for him. Don't hesitate to call on us if you need anything. Big Hugs.

  3. Prayers are going up for all of you.
    Mack & Dee Kennedy