Monday #3 4/8/13
Carter had a great and busy day. He had another ultrasound this morning of his blood clot. Carter's Doctor's have concluded that there is not a treatment that Carter would benefit from right now. We are going to continue to watch the area closely and pray for it to resolve. Carter's Urologist and Orthopedic Surgeon both feel it is time to take Carter back to surgery. Carter is not benefiting from waiting and only having complication after complication right now. They are planning to take him back to surgery on Wednesday. This will be a much more intense surgery than the last surgery. They will bring his pelvic bones closer together using the fixators that are already in place. They will put Carter's bladder back inside his body and place a metal plate over it. They may use donor skin to cover the metal plate, but we will not know if this is necessary until they have put his bladder inside his body. A pediatric surgeon will also come in and change Carter's G tube to a GJ tube. He will continue to have the external fixators and be in traction for 6-8 weeks after the surgery.
The surgery will take about 10 hours and will require at least 3 different Doctors. Carter will go to PICU afterwards and remain sedated for a few days. We have so many concerns about the surgery. Carter did not tolerate this last surgery well and we are praying he will tolerate this one better. Due to all of the complications Carter has had all of our plans and timeline have completely changed. We know he really needs this next surgery and his body is not tolerating sitting like it is now. We are praying for his lungs, the blood clot and his intestines to tolerate the surgery well. We know he needs this surgery, but it will never be easy handing him over.
Carter is starting to build a tolerance to the sedatives he is currently receiving. Today he woke up for a few hours and played without crying. He was content laying in bed and seemed comfortable, so Brandon and I did not feel the need to increase his sedatives. We will talk to the pain team tomorrow about increasing his sedatives. He has not felt good tonight because he was awake so much today. It was so nice to see his eyes and his little personality, but we know the goal for right now is for him to be sedated, healing and resting. We have missed him so much and can not wait to have him back. We are not looking forward to this next surgery, but we know it is just one step closer to being able to hold and have our baby back. We will continue to pray for peace about the surgery and for Carter's very sick body to tolerate it well. We should know more details about the surgery tomorrow and I will try to update again tomorrow night. Thank you all so much for all of your prayers and continued prayers. As always... To Him be the Glory!
A smile even when he was to sleepy to hold his eyes open.